Over the past few months I've been in contact with many technical resources in the health care industry and what I'm hearing has been quite surprising. My knee jerk expectation was that in light of proposed government-run, socialized medicine that health care and it's peripheral industries would be destination spots from a career perspective for technology resources. What I'm finding at least in part has turned out to be quite the opposite. Many employers have initiated hiring freezes and in some of the more grim scenarios bill rates are being slashed and lay-offs commonplace. Although I can't speak to what's happening across the nation or in every niche sub-sector of the industry, I can tell you most of the sentiment out there that I'm hearing can only be described as pessimistic.
On a more positive note, there has been some very targeted hiring within health care specifically in the Websphere and Oracle DBA realms to name a few. I'm not sure that I could extrapolate some sort of "bigger picture" from this other than to say that the pendulum has simply swung to favor a new group of resources for the time being, but it is intriguing and I'll be keeping a close eye on further developments.
As the future of health care in America plays itself out in the coming months and years, I'll continue to share with you what I'm hearing on the street.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment